The Timothys

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Daily Questions

Being a mom has made me more aware of how fast life goes by. I want to capture every smile, every sound, and every moment, but I know I cant. I do what I can to hold the present still. But i know that I need to love the present now as I am living it. I need to enjoy and cherish these sweet moments as I am in them rather than looking back on videos and pictures wishing I could go back.

I will be 30 in July. I essentially havent changed since I was little. Sure I have done a lot of things, and gone through some hard times for myself, but i still struggle with the same weaknesses. Unless I do things different, I realized, I will continue to think the same way and in turn act the same way to disappointments and challenges and uncertainty unless something I do changes. 

As I was in CA visiting my family a few months ago, i did some soul searching in a way. I have always been one to look back and long for the past. I seem to often think, "If only (this had/or hadnt happened), than (something much better than what I perceive I have now would be here)." I wish I had made better choices, handled things different, grew up in a different place, had more confidence..ect. if only...

But now is the time. Life is so short. If I dont take hold of my time here on earth and cherish and make the most of each moment, than I will be 80 saying the same things..if only, if only. I dont ever want to feel that. I am young and still have time. Through the help of inspiration I came up with a list of daily questions. Questions, that I believe, if I answered with a high score honestly, i would be fulfilled, at peace, and content with my life and myself.  I share them in hopes to help someone. Your questions may be different. Decide what you want to be able to say and feel at the end of your life. Things that are important to you and make up statements you want to be ingrained in your character. For myself, I know if I could answer with a high score to each of these, I would be closer to what i hope to be.

Daily Questions Scale 1-10
1. I thought more of others than my own problems.
2. I did things for others.
3. When I have nothing to do, I dont dwell on the things wrong or missing in my life.
4.When I am still, I feel peace in my heart.
5. I like me.
6. I enjoy quiet time and the simple parts of nature, others, and life.
7. I feel and see I have real value to others.
8. I love my life.
9. I feel strong. I believe I can do anything.
10. I look forward and dont dwell on the past.
11. I have control over my mind.

At the end of each day I write in my journal a happy moment, what I felt, and why I felt that. I also go through these questions and rate how I did that day. If I got a low score I know that what I did that day wasnt working. Than I commit to do something that will help me to improve in that area. It is so good for me to see progress.  And to know that I am actively on the path to my desired destination.  There is a direct coloration to how well I did on these questions to how fulfilled and happy I felt that day.  It has helped me so much and I am so grateful for the wake up call!

No comments:

Post a Comment