The Timothys

Monday, December 24, 2012

Marriage its what brings us together today

My cousin Kelsie messaged me a little bit ago asking me a question for one on her college assignments. She was writing a paper and needed to hear from a few couples about what they thought has made their marriage successful. It got me to actually stop and think about my marriage. I wanted to post this in my blog because my goal is to document our family history through it and hopefully get a blog book each year. Thats the goal at least. :) So here were a few of my thoughts...


"Hi Kelsie!! I would love to!! thanks so much for asking!
This is a great question! Nobody is perfect so no marriage is 'perfect'. but whats the fun in that, right??  as i was thinking about your question, i thought about how people have different things that are important to them to have in their marriage. And how that would in turn effect how successful they believe their marriage is. For me, i needed to feel 100% trust for my spouse, i needed to be loved ALOT, and I needed to feel that who i was (how i looked, who i am now, my past, my weaknesses) everything was accepted and ok. I felt all those things when i married brice and it gave me the courage to move forward. but when you get married you learn so much more about each other and yourself. so its a journey...here are some things that have been so important to me in my marriage so far.
1. Remembering life is a process and so is your marriage. there are ups and downs just like with your own life. it doesnt mean anything is wrong. it is normal and healthy.
2. Show respect....i love this one! Brice and I always try to say thank you and excuse me and just show common courtesy. We dont just let everything go because we are married now. i really like this about our marriage.
3. Take care of each other....I am so grateful that brice is that kind of man that helps with house stuff and baby so naturally. Sometimes he will say let me give you a foot massage. You've had a long day! And i say no let me give you one, you are the one with the crazy long stressful day. we try to help lift each others burdens when we can.
4. Be one in family life...this one was so important to me too. not saying this is your job and that is my job so I wont help with anything else but we help each other. we both love cade so much and want to be good parents to him. we both want a strong family so family is first for both of us.
5. Be quick to forgive, let go, and assume the good in our spouse's intentions.
6. Lastly i would say brice being my friend. i feel so safe with him because i can be myself, be silly, ramble away about whatever, and feel that who I am is enough for him.
These are the six things I would say has helped our marriage to be successful. I hope this helps!!! Good luck with your project 

No comments:

Post a Comment